Current national specialty certification is required for continued approval to practice in Alabama as an Advanced Practice Nurse. If you continue to practice as a Advanced Practice Nurse after the effective dates on your APN card, your RN license and APN status will be subject to disciplinary action. The Alabama Board of Nursing requires official verification of your recertification in writing from the national specialty certification organization.
610-X-4-.11 Notice Requirements.
(1) The applicant or licensee shall notify the Board in writing of any requested name change. Appropriate legal documents and fees shall be submitted prior to changing the name of the licensee on the license card. The legal documents required for a name change are one of the following:
(a) Marriage certificate.
(b) Divorce decree
(c) Probate court records effecting a legal name change.
(2) The licensee shall notify the Board office in writing of any change in the licensee's address. The address of record is the address provided by the applicant or licensee.
(3) The Board’s notice to the licensee of selection for audit of continuing education records is presumed within five (5) days of mailing or electronic transmission to the address of record.
(4) Advanced practice nurses, as defined by statute and regulation, shall submit to the Board, immediately upon receipt:
(a) Evidence of authorization to test for the initial certification examination if requesting provisional approval for advanced practice nursing.
(b) Evidence of current national certification by a Board-recognized national certifying body:
(i) Upon successful completion of the initial certification examination.
(ii) At the time of renewal of advanced practice approval.
(iii) Upon recertification by a Board-recognized national certifying body.
(c) Notice of termination of an approved collaborative practice, if applicable.
(5) Current national certification by a Board-recognized certifying body is a prerequisite for approval to practice as a certified registered nurse practitioner, certified nurse midwife, certified registered nurse anesthetist, and clinical nurse specialists. Failure to provide evidence of current national certification prior to the expiration of existing certification on file with the Board shall result in lapse of approval to practice as an advanced practice nurse and may result in disciplinary action pursuant to Chapter 610-X-8.
(6) The Board’s notice to the advanced practice nurse of approval to practice may be:
(a) A letter granting provisional, temporary, or interim approval.
(b) An advanced practice license or wallet card that reflects the date of expiration of the registered nurse license card or the expiration of national certification, whichever comes first.
(7) Practicing as an advanced practice nurse subsequent to the expiration date on the advanced practice license card shall result in disciplinary action pursuant to Chapter 610-X-8. Failure to submit evidence to the Board of meeting the requirements of Chapter 610-X-5 or Chapter 610-X-9, as applicable, shall result in lapse of the advance practice approval.
Author: Alabama Board of Nursing
Statutory Authority: Code of Alabama, 1975, § 34-21-2(l).
History: Effective September 29, 1982. Amended March 24, 1984. Filed May 29, 2001. Effective July 2, 2001. Repealed and Replaced: Filed September 27, 2004. Effective November 1, 2004. Amended: Filed March 24, 2006. Effective April 28, 2006. Amended: Filed November 26, 2007. Effective December 31, 2007.